Brexit and the free movement of persons

From 1 January 2021, the United Kingdom is no longer part of the EU, which means that the mobility rights of free movement have ceased to apply. As a British citizen in Sweden, here you can find general useful information on the conditions to continue to live, work or travel to Sweden.

Different rules apply, depending on whether you have moved to Sweden before or after 1 January 2021.

If you were residing or working in Sweden before 1 January 2021

The EU Withdrawal Agreement regulates the rights for British citizens who were resident in Sweden before 1 January 2021. The Agreement is safeguarding the right to stay in Sweden and is ensuring that the terms of the coordination rules on social insurance remains unchanged for British citizens and their family members. If you have questions about how this applies to you, you can contact Your Europe Advice.

If you were legally residing in Sweden before 1 January 2021, you must apply for the new residency permit (uppehållsstatus) in Sweden by 31 December 2021, to secure your rights to continue to live and work in Sweden as before. The Swedish Migration Agency’s guidance on Resi­dence status for British citi­zens

If you intend to work in or visit Sweden from 1 January 2021

The new EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement is applied as of 1 January 2021. The agreement contains certain provisions under which you can work in Sweden, to facilitate trade in services and movement in connection with business travel, for example. A special protocol to the agreement contains conditions for the coordination of social insurance systems, such as the conditions for sickness and parental benefits, unemployment benefits and pension. For example, it is still only possible to belong to one insurance system at a time and according to the main rule, it is the one connected to the country you work in.

UK nationals and their family members on a temporary visit to Sweden, will need a passport to enter Sweden, with at least 6 months left of validity. You will not need a visa for tourism, for example trips not exceeding 90 days. You will find updated travel information at the website of the British government.

The Swedish and the British government websites also provide useful information, see links in box below.