Checklist: Are you ready for export?
Check to see if you have looked into all necessary steps to be prepared for export to Sweden and the EU.
1. Learn how to classify your product
- Do you have the correct customs code for your products?
2. Use trade statistics to identify your markets
- Make a list with the foreign markets your country is exporting to
- Make a list with the foreign markets that import for your type of product
- Merge the two lists and narrow down to a limited number of interesting markets to check further
- For the identified markets, check for other countries that export your type of products to this market.
Research markets with trade statistics
3. Understand the trends in your target market
- For your identified market/markets, research current trends
- Match your products with the trends.
4. Find the right segment for your product
- Gather more information about the market (price and quality for your products, demographic clusters, niches)
- Match your products with the right segment
5. Live up to requirements
- Check requirements for your product on the identify markets
- Adapt your product to the requirements if needed
6. Choose a distribution channel
- Map out distribution channel
- Map out main actors in each distribution channel
- Chose a distribution channel suitable for you
Choosing distribution channels
7. Find a business partner
- Approach players you have identify in your previous research
- Make sure you can be found online
- Participate in relevant trade fairs
8. Calculate customs duties
- Find out the customs duties for importing your product to your identified market
9. Check the rules of origin
- Find out if there is a trade agreement between your country and your target market
- Make sure your products matches the rules of origin in the trade agreement
10. Learn about logistics and documents
- Research transport and logistics for your products.
11. Business negotiations
- Negotiate a contract with your buyer (think about local business culture).